Religious Studies Major
The NC State B.A. in Religious Studies provides a reliable understanding of the nature and impact of religion which prepares students for graduate study, professional training and work in many fields.
Requirements of the Major
Requirements of the Major
The major in religious studies consists of thirty (30) credit hours. The courses must include:
- REL 200 (3 credit hours);
- 3 credit hours in non-Western religious traditions (REL 230, 331, 332, 333, 334, 340, 407, 408);
- 3 credit hours in Western religious traditions (REL 311, 312, 314, 317, 320, 323, 350, 402, 412, 413, 423);
- 3 credit hours in textual methods (REL 311, 312, 314, 412, 413, 491);
- 3 credit hours in historical methods (REL 230, 317, 320, 331, 332, 333, 334, 340, 350, 402, 407, 408);
- 3 credit hours in critical/theoretical methods (REL 309, 323, 327, 383, 423, 471, 472, 473, 482, 489);
- 9 credit hours of advanced religious studies classes (REL 4**);
- 3 credit hours of religious studies electives (REL ***).
In the standard case, a course taken to satisfy one major requirement may not be counted towards satisfaction of any other major requirement. The rule of thumb is no “double counting." A copy of any student papers written for any course above REL 317, without the instructor's comments, will be kept in a department file to help with evaluation of teaching and the curriculum.
Admission Requirements for Students Already at NC State
If you are a current NC State student and you wish to change your major to religious studies or to add a second major in religious studies, you will need to submit an online intra-campus transfer application using the Change of Degree Application (CODA) system.
- Electronic applications will be reviewed immediately after each of the application deadlines: September 15, February 15, May 15 and July 1.
- Students who have completed at least 12 credit hours at NC State with an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher will be accepted automatically.
- Students who have completed at least 12 credit hours at NC State with an overall GPA between 2.0 and 2.99 are subject to individual review. It is recommended that these students complete at least one religious studies course with a grade of B- or better before applying.
For further information, please contact Joanna King at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Religious Studies Prize
The Religious Studies Prize in Honor of Professor W. Curtis Fitzgerald was introduced in 2010/11. The prize, which includes a cash award, is presented each spring to the outstanding senior in the religious studies major. The winners have been as follows:
- 2019: Morgan Barbre
- 2018: Jesse Young
- 2017: Kyle Greyson Kentopp
- 2016: Zane Edwin Vermette
- 2015: Sarah Michelle Adcock
- 2014: Hunter Houston Ross
- 2013: Amanda Margaret Jones
- 2012: Allison Aurora DeLargy
- 2011: Mary Catherine Hamner